Slovakia Day 6 – Babička, Injuries, and a Concert (Good Story!!!)

Today should have been an amazing day. It should have been a day that would have been one of the best here in Slovakia. But, it seemed like life was just out for me today, trying to be a jerk the entire time. I tried to make the best of it, but when you are almost forced to the hospital it is kind of tough. Just a forewarning, given my current state the quality of writing may be worse than the average.

I got up today very late in the morning, and when I walked into the family room my host family told me we would be going to the garden. I feel like I have to be an expert forensic analyst to be able to decipher what they are trying to tell me (not their fault what-so-ever it is just annoying at times). I had no idea what the garden meant, so I tried to prepare as much as possible. Apparently however, preparing the best I can means forgetting my memory card in my laptop. Yes, I know it is ironic, no need to remind me.

We headed off in the car, and when we finally arrived it all made sense. We had traveled up into a mountain canyon a ways, to a more rural part of Banska Bystrica. Our destination was grandma’s cottage, where they had a big garden out in front of the house. I keep finding myself annoyed that I don’t get these things sooner, because the entire time before we left they kept hinting at where we were going in broken English I just never put two and two together.

I had a lot of fun at grandma’s house, we had some homemade goulash and played a little badminton. I really do hope that I can go back sometime soon, because the scenery there was just gorgeous. A little side note, I don’t think that the grandparents could get anymore slavic. Hard to explain, but I just want you to imagine the most stereotypical babička (grandma) and that was her.

We did not stay for too long, we left around 3 in the afternoon. When I got home, I worked on this article here on the differences between American and Slovak food. I would definitely recommend checking that one out. I was then told that we needed to hurry and go, so this time I made sure I had my memory card and went off. Although how useful having it will be up for debate.


We got to the SNP square, where I found myself in front of a crowd of something like 3,000 people. Apparently, they have some kind of yearly celebration, and this year they had a very famous guest singer, which drew pretty large crowds.

Now here is the interesting part of the story. Sophi and I, had decided to go over to the park area to go and play for a little bit because the festivities had not quite started yet. And then I saw it. Of course, as a retired gymnast how can I say no to such an inviting pull up bar? I went up to it, did a couple swings on it no problem. I felt pretty good about myself. Then it started to rain a little. A few of Sophi’s friends had come over, and she had asked me to show them a flip. Of course, I was going to show them more than a flip, I was going to do giants on the bar. Now you might think I am crazy, but I felt fairly confident about being able to do it.

Once I had gotten on top of the bar, I knew it was not going to end well. The bar was a little slick from the rain, so I didn’t have a good grip on it. I knew I was going to come off, but I did it anyway. Why? I don’t really have a good reason other than, “what’s the worst that could happen?”. So I went up into handstand and started my downward swing. I was about 45 degrees horizontal when I slipped.

I started a new paragraph for this as a forewarning to you. If you are reading this and have any contact with my host family, you are not to say a word. I will explain during and after this next part, but it is crucial that they do not know this. At least for a few days.

I knew straight away a concussion was imminent. The back of my head slammed into the ground, and then my back followed suit. I saw stars for about 5 or 6 seconds, not being able to hear much other than a ringing. After a few expletives I sat up and was greeted with plenty of “are you ok?!” I knew for a fact that I wasn’t, and that it was going to be a long night.

It took me a minute or two to finally sit up and regain composure, but after I did I knew I should prepare my mind and body for the worst. I will explain my reasoning after I get the story part of this down, so please read all the way through before you go start hating and telling me about all of my bad decision in the comments.


I then got dragged right to the front of the concert, right next to the nice a large 8′ speakers. I was doing my very best not to vomit on the crowd, and let me tell you, I should get a medal for my performance. I knew that I needed something, I needed to eat or drink something, but the only thing I could find was beer and candy. I decided that a little but of sugar wouldn’t kill me, so I bought this string like candy. Would recommend by the way, was very good.

My back and arm was a little scratched, but it wasn’t life threatening. 

When we got home, my host mom started to really grasp the situation. In the dark, she couldn’t see what happened, but when we got home she asked to see my back, and then it kind of escalated from there. By that time, it was 10 at night, and I was already in my pajamas. I did not want to make a big deal about this and go to the hospital, which my family was insisting. I knew, that once I got to the hospital, what would they do? Confirm, “yes, you have a concussion” give me some Advil and send me home? Not only is that expensive, it is a little bit of a waste of time. Granted, they would probably correctly patch up my back, but still.

I didn’t write about it but there was a cool fireworks display


Ok, I am breaking a thousand words already and I definitely need the rest. So let me give my reasoning a little bit.

  • I knew that I had a concussion
  • I knew what the doctor would do
  • I take full responsibility for this decisions
  • I do agree if the symptoms get worse I will immediately seek medical attention

But, as a person who has at least a little first aid training, I know that there is not much a doctor can do for a mild concussion. I had thought this out, but I probably forgot an important point and someone is going to mention it in the comments. Anyway, I am off for the night. Sorry it is such a long post, I just had a long day. Dobru noc! (not even trying to edit this one tonight so please forgive spelling/grammar mistakes)

All of these pictures were taken on a Sony A6000. If you are looking for a great light weight camera that takes fantastic pictures, I would definitively recommend this setup here.

Sony Alpha a6000 Mirrorless Digital Camera with 16-50mm Power Zoom Lens


  • G man

    September 1, 2017

    I’m telling

  • mirakdva

    September 2, 2017

    dude, you missed a great opportunity to compare slovak and us healthcare (I dont know about your health insurance here, but you should not pay anything). And doctors here in Slovakia care. Especially when it comes to (not drunk) foreigners.

    • Alex

      September 2, 2017

      Sorry mate, now that you say it I really should have. I don’t want to say maybe next time, because I really hope there is not a next time…

  • Pingback:Slovakia Update #101 - Snowboarding at Donovaly - Blogging AF

Leave a Reply